The MASTER Math Lab at the Loudoun Campus of Northern Virginia Community College serves primarily as the place for students enrolled in MASTER Math to put in their weekly lab hours. Developmental math students report to the MASTER Math Lab to work on homework, take quizzes and tests, and get help as needed from instructors and tutors.
Credits for developmental math do not count towards graduation, but for students who do not place into a college level course, the course is a prerequisite for all other math courses.
Students enrolled in lecture courses may also receive help in the MASTER Math Lab. No appointments are necessary. Students may come anytime that the MASTER Math Lab is open.
The MASTER Math Lab at the Loudoun Campus of Northern Virginia Community College serves primarily as the place for students enrolled in MTT (developmental math) courses to work on homework, take quizzes and tests, and get help as needed from instructors and tutors. For MTT courses, we can help with all material but quizzes and tests. We lend out calculators for students to use when they are here.
Credits for developmental math do not count toward graduation, but if you do not place into a college level course, MTT math is a prerequisite for all other math courses.
The MTT units, as well as a description of BSK1 (pre-MTT), are described here:
|BSK1||Unit 1||Unit 2||Unit 3||Unit 4||Unit 5||Unit 6||Unit 7||Unit 8||Unit 9|
Students enrolled in credit courses are welcome to come to the Math Lab for tutoring or to borrow textbooks or calculators (to be used only in the lab). Students are welcome anytime the Math Lab is open. We can help with textbook problems; assignments, quizzes, and tests that have been graded; worksheets with answers provided; and assignments for which your instructor has given us permission to work with you. We cannot work with you on assignments outside the textbook for which no answers are provided unless your instructor has given us permission.
Retired editions of textbooks, as well as some other reference books, are available for 3-week loans.
Placement Test Prep
- There is an online practice test here. This practice test covers both developmental and credit-level material.
- There is a PDF practice test in four pieces:
- developmental math units 1-5,
- developmental math units 6-9,
- college level math without trig, and
- college level math with trig.
- The problems here are similar to those on the online practice test and their solutions are explained fully, so if you miss problems on the online practice test and you don’t understand why, you can find explanations here. This practice test covers both developmental and credit-level material.
- There are practice questions and answers here. These questions cover the same material as the developmental sections of the online placement test, but the style of the questions is different. Full solutions are available in a book that the lab lends out library-style for 3 weeks at a time. (Come in and request it.) This practice test covers developmental material only.