Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:

Workforce Financial Assistance

General Information

New Workforce Financial Assistance Program

Virginia will be offsetting the tuition of select workforce training programs at community colleges by 66% with the new Workforce Credential Grant (WCG). New incentive funds to offset the cost of tuition on select high-demand credentials programs are now available and programs are open for registration. The funds are available to Virginia residents who meet Virginia domicile requirements. See list of eligible programs below.

NOVA’s WCG Eligible Programs Include:

  • CompTIA® A+ Certification Essentials (includes software and hardware)
  • CompTIA® Security+
  • CompTIA® Network+
  • Certified Cisco Entry Network Technician (CCENT)
  • Certified Cisco Network Associate (CCNA)
  • Certified Billing & Coding Specialist (CBCS)
  • Nurse Aide Preparation (Certified Nurse Aide – CNA)
  • Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA)
  • Certified Pharmacy Tech
  • Certified Welder
  • Commercial Driver’s License Training (CDL) (A License and B License)

Please visit MyWorkforce for additional information on these programs.

Sometimes the cost of programs that prepare you for high-demand careers can create a financial barrier. The Workforce Credential Grant (WCG) underwrites the cost of select pre-approved high-demand training programs by covering two-thirds of the cost with the expectation of you obtaining the related workforce credential. You are financially responsible for the first-third. If you are financially unable to pay the first-third as determined by the predefined set of criteria, you may qualify for Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC). Funding for both WCG and FANTIC programs is limited.

What is the Workforce Credentials Grant (WCG)?

Workforce Credential Grant (WCG) is a program funded by the Virginia General Assembly to encourage the attainment of high-demand workforce credentials by underwriting the cost of approved credential preparation programs for Virginia residents that meet Virginia domicile requirements. You are required to pay one-third of the cost of the program with the explicit expectation you will seek and obtain the related credential identified for your program of choice. Failure to complete the class will result in your financial obligation to pay an additional one-third of the cost of the program back to the Commonwealth of Virginia. Funding for this program is limited.

Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC) provides funding for you if you demonstrate the required financial need in order to enroll in an approved workforce training program leading to the attainment of an industry recognized credential or licensure and are not eligible for other funding grants or financial assistance. Applicants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. This financial assistance will pay for 80% of your cost for the program. If you qualify, you will be responsible for 20% of your portion at the time of registration. Funding for this program is limited.

What is Expected?

Those participating in this program will be expected to regularly attend and participate in all classes (attend at least 90% of all class meetings) AND successfully attain a designated credential at the end of the program, regardless of whether that credential is embedded in the cost of the class or requires an additional fee for a credential assessment/certification exam at a third-party site.

If you qualify for the WCG Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC) you will pay 20% of the student obligation (one-third of the cost of the program). WCG Workforce Financial Assistance (FANTIC) will pay the remaining 80% of the student obligation. Funding for this program is limited and will be disbursed on a first come first served basis to those that meet the required qualifications. Funding for both the WCG and FANTIC programs are limited.

How to Qualify

To qualify for WCG, please fill out the WCG prequalification forms and take them to one of our three full-service Workforce Offices. You will also need your photo ID.

To qualify for FANTIC please fill out the FANTIC prequalification forms. Then drop off your forms along with all supporting documents to one of our three full-service Workforce Offices. We will review it and you will be called or emailed the decision.

Contact Information and Questions

For more information on the WCG and FANTIC financial assistance programs, please contact a staff member at one of our three full-service Workforce Development Office locations at 703.503.6300 or email questions to NOVAWorkforceAnswers@nvcc.edu.

For office locations and hours visit our website.

Other Workforce Certificate/Credential Programs

For more information on other Workforce certificate/credential programs, please click here.